Construction Standards

Transport Canada’s Construction Standards for Small Vessels clearly define how powered boats that are operated in Canada, including boats up to 24 m (78’9”), must be built.

If you are building, rebuilding or restoring a boat in Canada you must meet or exceed the Transport Canada Construction Standards for Small Vessels. If the boat is for your own use it does not require a Compliance notice but if you plan on selling it you must apply to Transport Canada for a manufacturers Identification Code (MIC) so you can attach a Compliance Notice and HIN. Go to or contact Transport Canada to get a copy of the construction standards TP 1332E.